Microeconomic Research Papers
Microeconomics Paper Topics
Finding the right topic to write a paper on is one of the most important stages of the writing process. Choose the right one, and you will make life so much easier for yourself; choose the wrong one, and it’ll be three times as hard to write it.
That’s why it is crucial to invest sufficient time in selecting the right topic. The time you spend doing it will pay back in the time and effort saved during the actual writing.
In this blog post, we have compiled a list of possible topics you could choose to write a paper in microeconomics. Some are rather narrow, others are broader. The common thing is that they will not pose any additional difficulties in writing and there are plenty of sources to get information from.
Key areas of research
As a more developed science than macroeconomics, microeconomics studies the economic tendencies, predicts what will happen when individuals make certain buying decisions, and how it will impact the distribution of resources. At that microeconomics doesn’t explain what should happen on the market, but only what to expect when certain conditions change.
The study of microeconomics includes the following key areas that one can focus on when writing a paper:
- Demand, supply, and their balance
- Elasticity – the ratio of responsiveness of one variable to the change of another variable
- Consumer demand theory – the way consumers can find a balance between purchasing needs and costs
- The theory of production – the study of how inputs are converted into outputs
- Costs of production
- Perfect competition
- Monopoly – the existence of a single supplier for a particular commodity
- Oligopoly – a form of market in which it is dominated by a small number of sellers
- Market structure and market systems
- Game theory
- Labor economics
- Welfare economics
- Economics of information
- Opportunity cost
Examples of more specific topics you can use for your paper
Supply and demand:
- How supply and demand affect pricing
- How supply and demand are affected by the labor market
- Distinct types of market structures and their effect on supply
Nature and ecology:
- The impact of seasonal fluctuations on the economy
- Demand and supply for clean energy
- How natural conditions affect the economy
- The influence of ecology on the choice of industry location
- The profitability of changing the location to one with better ecology
- The correlation between modern ecological problems and the economy
- How companies treat ecology under market and planned economies
- Assimilation potential of a certain area
- Fighting pollution and its microeconomic impact
- Decreasing environmental influences of a small business
- The characteristics of private health care centers
- The correlation between healthcare profits and taxation
Business, SMB, and manufacturing
- The difficulties of starting a business in the current market conditions
- Diminishing returns
- Improving profitability of a small store
- How local manufacturing affects the society
- Purchasing local produce and its effect on the economy
- Elements of a successful business
- Creating a positive work place and its importance for a successful business
- How can a small business survive an economic crisis?
- The competition between small and big companies
- A case study of a company that was forced to shut down
- The longevity of companies in the ever-changing market
- Local customer trends
- The benefits of a no-sale policy
- The effects of a recession on a certain industry
- How to expand a business without losses or risks
- What makes a strong leader in business
- Preventing bankruptcy of a small business
- The benefits and future of crowdfunding
Social media, PR, and advertising
- The effect of advertising on purchasing decisions
- The odds of success when living through a quality-related scandal
- The role of social media marketing in stimulating supply
Goods, pricing and purchasing power
- The effect of the purchasing ability of consumers on the pricing system
- A Veblen good – the product purchased for the pride of owning it in addition to its value
- Manipulation of the prices for oil and gas by cartels
- Prices versus salary – will the raise of the minimum wages affect prices?
These are but a few ideas of microeconomic paper topics, which means this list is far from complete. We encourage you to look for other ideas that will help your paper stand out.
Ask a question
The Top 20 Economics Term Paper Ideas for College Students
Economics deals with the production, distribution, and consumption of services and goods and how this is managed. When you have to write a term paper for your economics class, these are some really good term paper topics to consider. There are two main areas of economics which are macroeconomics and microeconomics. If you are in either course, you may want to write about a topic referring to your course of study. Microeconomics is focused on individual households and companies and their behavior. Macroeconomics focuses on the economy as a whole. Make sure to choose the right topic idea for the course you are in if you are in a microeconomics class or a macroeconomics class instead of a general economics class.
- Has the demand for oil changed over the last decade?
- Has BP recovered from its catastrophic mistake?
- How is the supply of corn affected by the weather this year?
- How have the consumption patterns changed in households this year?
- Evaluate the functions of different market structures in the auto industry
- Evaluate the functions of different market structures in the appliance industry
- Evaluate the functions of different market structures in the food industry
- Determine if wage-price rose of fell this year
- Unemployment in America compared to the rest of the World
- Labor unions in various industries
- Labor unions in different market structures
- Pricing policies in various market structures
- Pricing strategies and there effects on pricing wars
- Pricing strategies and competitive advantage
- Effects of globalization
- Discuss the effects of the current fiscal policy
- How interest rates influence consumer spending
- Effects of gambling
- Effects of immigration
- Causes of depressions
These are some great topics that you can write your term paper on. You can use one of these to write about or just use them to get an idea of a similar topic. After you have choose a topic, the next step is to create an outline. A lot of writers skip this topic but when writing a paper of this magnitude, you definitely want to develop your outline as you do your research. It will help you stay organized and keep you on track towards proving your thesis statement. Your thesis statement will be the main point that you are trying to make. Good luck.